WHILE THE COURTHOUSE IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC, WE ARE LIMITING OUR OUR SERVICES TO ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS. PLEASE CONTACT THE COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE BY PHONE (989) 224-5146 OR BY EMAIL AT email@example.com TO ALLOW US TO DETERMINE THE BEST METHOD TO ASSIST YOU.
Birth records are available for persons born in Clinton County.
These are the procedures for obtaining birth records from 1867 to present.
According to MCL 333.2882(1)(a)) the following are the only persons eligible to receive a certified birth certificate:
- The person named on the record
- A parent named on the record
- A legal guardian of the person named on the record. With your application you must include a copy of the court-appointed legal guardianship papers. Custody papers are not acceptable to request a birth record.
- A legal licensed representative of the person named on the record. You must include with the application a letter having your official letterhead stating who you represent.
- An heir of the deceased named on the record. You must provide a copy of the death certificate.
- A court of competent jurisdiction that supplies a court order.
- Power of Attorney (POA) - Some are acceptable, while others may not be acceptable depending on the language contained in the POA. Contact the Clerks' Office to assist you in determining whether or not your POA will be acceptable.
- If the record is 100 years or older, it becomes public record
Obtaining a Record
You may obtain a birth record by:
- Appearing in person in the Clinton County Clerk's Office with appropriate identifying documentation
- Mail, you must include:
- Date of Birth
- Parent’s Names (including mother’s maiden name)
- Return address and daytime phone number
- An identifying document (copy of driver's license, state ID card, etc.)
- $13 for the first certified copy and $5 for each additional copy purchased at the same time. Payment can be made by cash, check or money order payable to Clinton County Clerk.
- Complete the Request for Birth Record Form (PDF) and mail to the County Clerk with the appropriate fees
Senior Citizens, 65 and over, $7 for the first certified copy and $5 for each additional copy purchased at the same time. MCL 333.2891 (8).