Terminate or Modify


A guardianship can be modified or terminated at the request of the legally incapacitated individual or other interested parties. The Court will schedule a hearing upon receipt of the completed Petition. The Petitioner is required to send a copy of the (PC675) petition and (PC562) Notice of Hearing to all interested parties prior to the hearing. The (PC564) Proof of Service confirming delivery to the interested parties can be mailed, emailed, faxed or hand delivered to Probate Court prior to the hearing.

Once you file your petition, a Lawyer-Guardian Ad Litem may be appointed to visit the ward and other interested parties, they also may conduct a home visit and draft a report and make recommendations to the judge.

The following documents are used when requesting a modification or termination.

PC675 Petition to Terminate/Modify Guardianship of Legally Incapacitated Individual

DHS-1929 Central Registry Clearance Request – Complete and deliver to Clinton County DHS office (one for each guardian if requesting a modification)

Guardian Proof of Identity – Complete and provide a copy of drivers license (one for each guardian if requesting a modification)

PC562 Notice of Hearing – Court will provide

PC564 Proof of Service - For Petition and Notice of Hearing, stating you did serve all interested parties