Limited Guardianship

Limited Guardianship of a Minor

A "Limited" Guardian of a minor can be done at any time for any reason if all of the following exist:

1.    The custodial parent(s) consent to the appointment of a limited guardian; AND

2.    The custodial parent(s) voluntarily agree to suspend parental rights; AND

3.    The Probate Court approves a Limited Guardianship Placement Plan agreed to by both the custodial parent(s) and proposed guardian(s).



PC650 Petition for Appointment of Guardian of Minor

PC652 Limited Guardianship Placement Plan

PC670 Minor Guardianship Social History

DHS-1929 Central Registry Clearance Request – Complete and deliver to Clinton County DHS office (one for each guardian)

Guardian Proof of Identity – Complete and provide a copy of drivers license (one for each guardian)

PC562 Notice of Hearing – Court will provide

After Petition is filed – do the Proof of Service PC564

PC564 Proof of Service – For Petition and Notice of Hearing, stating you did serve all interested parties

PC563 Publication of Notice of Hearing & PC617 Declaration of Intent to Give Notice by Publication – Only needed if last known address of interested parties (parents) is unknown.

Once you file your petition for guardianship, a Lawyer-Guardian Ad Litem will be appointed to visit the proposed ward, conduct a home visit with the proposed guardian, draft a report and make recommendations to the judge.


PC571 Acceptance of Appointment – court will provide

MC97A Addendum to Personal Identifying Information is needed to complete the Acceptance of Appointment

Notice of Duties for Limited Guardianship of Minor

PC633 Letters of Guardianship - $12 for each certified copy

PC653 Order Regarding Appointment of Limited Guardian of a Minor


PC654 Annual Report of Guardian On Condition Of Minor

PC564 Proof of Service

Please note that Clinton County Probate Court is prohibited by law from giving legal advice on any of the above proceedings other than to answer your specific questions regarding filing requirements. You should consult with an attorney if you have specific legal questions regarding which method of administration to use given your specific circumstances. MCL 700.1211.

*Clinton County does not send out reminders of upcoming due dates, or bills for fees.