To begin a Circuit Court case, you must file a Summons and Complaint along with the appropriate fees. Depending on the type of case being filed, other documents may also be required.
- All court documents must have a case caption according to the State Court Administrator's Office Case File Management Standards.
- It is recommended that paper size not exceed 8.5 wide by 11 inches long.
- Documents shall contain case caption and file/case number, including year and case type suffix.
- Print contained on pleading should be no smaller than 12-point type.
- Pleadings must be legibly typewritten or printed in ink.
- Documents shall be signed by party and/or attorney. If document is stipulated to, it must be signed by both parties and/or attorneys of record.
- Filing fees are required to be paid at time of filing documents, unless waived or suspended by the Court.
- The Clerk of the Court may reject papers that do not conform with the minimum filing requirements.
- Original documents are filed with the County Clerk as Clerk of the Circuit/Family Court.
- Extra copies for the Judge are not required, unless the court has specifically directed you to file an extra copy to provide to the Judge.