WHILE THE COURTHOUSE IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC, WE ARE LIMITING OUR SERVICES TO ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS. PLEASE CONTACT THE COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE BY PHONE, (989) 224-5146 OR BY EMAIL AT firstname.lastname@example.org TO ALLOW US TO DETERMINE THE BEST METHOD TO ASSIST YOU.
To begin a Circuit Court Divorce/Family Court case, you must file a Summons and Complaint along with the appropriate fees. Depending on the type of case being filed, other documents may also be required.
- All court documents must have a case caption according to the State Court Administrator's Office Case File Management Standards.
- It is recommended that paper size not exceed 8.5 wide by 11 inches long.
- Documents shall contain case caption and file/case number, including year and case type suffix.
- Print contained on pleading should be no smaller than 12-point type.
- Pleadings must be legibly typewritten or printed in ink.
- Documents shall be signed by party and/or attorney. If document is stipulated to, it must be signed by both parties and/or attorneys of record.
- Filing fees are required to be paid at time of filing documents, unless waived or suspended by the Court.
- The Clerk of the Court may reject papers that do not conform with the minimum filing requirements.
- Original documents are filed with the County Clerk as Clerk of the Circuit/Family Court.
- Extra copies for the Friend of the Court (FOC) are not required in Clinton County. Documents pertaining to FOC matters are sent to the FOC electronically by the Clerk of the Court.
- Extra copies for the Judge are not required, unless the court has specifically directed you to file an extra copy to provide to the Judge.
The County Clerk's Office provides divorce packets which may be purchased for $50 (non-refundable fee).
If you are filing a matter In Pro Per (without the assistance of an attorney), please be advised that the County Clerk's Office cannot provide legal advice nor give direction on how and exactly what papers will need to be filed. We suggest that you seek the advice of an attorney or research libraries or the internet for information and/or forms.
Post Judgment Proceedings
Please note that documents related to the following items are filed in the Office of the County Clerk/Clerk of the Circuit Court. Appropriate filing fees are collected by the Clerk of the Court at the time of filing.
- Child Support: Find information and forms on the Child Support page.
- Child Custody and Parenting Time: Information and forms can be found on the Custody and Parenting Time page.