- Committees & Commissions
- Zoning Board of Appeals
Zoning Board of Appeals
- 6 p.m.
- Meets the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- Applications must be submitted a minimum of 30 days prior to a scheduled meeting for processing/noticing purposes.
- Clinton County Courthouse
100 E. State Street
Board of County Commissioners’ Chambers, 2nd Floor
St. Johns, Michigan 48879
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval at the next regularly scheduled meeting.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- Gail Watkins, Chairperson
- Beth Botke, Vice-Chair
- Gregory Armbrustmacher
- Rex Ferguson
- Roni Christmas
- Logan Byrne, Alternate
- Term: 3 years
The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) consists of 5 members and up to 2 alternates appointed by the Board of Commissioners (BOC) for 3-year terms. 1 member of the ZBA shall also serve on the Planning Commission. Members are representative of the various interests present in the County such as agricultural, environmental, governmental, business and other social-economic interests.
The ZBA has the power to make final determinations and rule on matters provided in the Clinton County Zoning Ordinance (CCZO) such as appeals, interpretations, variances or exceptions.
- Interpretations: power to interpret, upon request, the provisions of the CCZO and the power to determine the precise location of the boundary lines between zoning districts.
- Variance Requests: may authorize specific variances from requirements such as lot area and width regulations, yard and depth regulations, off-street parking and loading space requirements and sign/billboard regulations, provided that all basic conditions and at least one of the special conditions have been satisfied (as detailed in the Zoning Ordinance).
- Authority to make 'lot of record' determinations.
- Review and make final determination on properly filed appeals from actions by the Planning Commission on Site Plan Review cases.
Decisions of the ZBA are only appealable to the Circuit Court.