- The County Clerk's Office offers notary services to the public.
- Valid photo identification is required.
- The document to be notarized must be signed in front of the Notary.
- The fee for notarization is $3 per document.
Applicants must apply in the county of residence or if you are an out-of-state resident, apply in the county in which you are employed.
An Application for Michigan Notary Public Appointment must be completed. This form is available from the County Clerk or from the Michigan Department of State website.
- You must obtain a surety bond (available through insurance agencies or bonding companies) in the amount of $10,000 and file with your County Clerk. The fee for filing a bond is $10 (non-refundable fee). Payment can be made by cash, check or money order payable to the Clinton County Clerk.
- When filing your bond, the county clerk will also administer an Oath of Office as prescribed by the State Constitution, and verify that you have complied with the requirements by completing the designated area and placing the county seal on the application. You shall sign the application, agreeing to all conditions stated.
- After you have fulfilled the filing requirements with the county, forward your completed application with a $10 non-refundable processing fee payable to "State of Michigan" (check or money order, no cash) to the following address: Michigan Department of State, Office of the Great Seal, 7064 Crowner Blvd. Lansing, MI 48918. If you prefer, the County Clerk's Office can forward your application and check.
- Your notary commission certificate will be mailed directly to your residence address as indicated on the application form. Your notary commission is not valid until you have received your certificate of commission in the mail.
- Notary Commission is valid for at least 6 years and no more than 7 years.
- As of April 1, 2007 licensed attorneys are not required to file a surety bond with the County Clerk.
- You must complete an application, take an Oath of Office administered by the County Clerk's Office and pay a $10 non-refundable processing fee. Applications are available at the County Clerk's Office or from the Michigan Department of State website.
- Submit your completed application to the Michigan Department of State, Office of the Great Seal, 7064 Crowner Blvd. Lansing, MI 48918 with a $10 non-refundable processing fee. If you prefer, the County Clerk's Office can forward your application and check.
- Applicants shall follow the same process as appling for a new commission.
- Persuant to MCL 55.279 a Licensed Attorney will be notified by the Office of the Great Seal 90 days before expiration to renew their commission. Attorneys are exempt from taking the Oath of Office with the County Clerk at the time of renewal.
CHANGE OF NAME/ADDRESS
** There is no need to reapply
- There is no fee for an information change.
- If you have lost your Notary Certificate and need to replace it, complete this form Request for Duplicate/Notice of Change and submit to the Office of the Great Seal.
- $10 non-refundable processing fee.
For further information please visit the Secretary of State's website at www.michigan.gov/sos.